Job Title: Maintenance Operative
Based: Olton, Solihull, B27 6PF
Salary: £22,000 to £23,000 per annum + opportunity for overtime / out of hours payments
Job Type: Permanent, Full Time
SJMT is a family of charities & a community of people supporting those most in need in the West Midlands. SJMT want everyone, regardless of age or circumstances, to feel secure, have opportunities and thrive.
The services provided include:
- Safe, affordable and well-maintained alms-housing
- Residential and extra care
- Community and housing-related support
- Services to advance the opportunities of children and young people in need
Everything they do is rooted in their 370 year history and driven by their vision for the future.
A fantastic opportunity for someone with experience in general maintenance to work in a forward thinking charity. We are recruiting a full-time Maintenance Operative working 5 days a week who will undertake high quality day to day maintenance tasks and minor general repairs, to ensure that the Trust's housing and other properties are always in a good state of repair.
- General repairs which may involve the following skills:
- Minor electrical work
- General building knowledge
- Working from height
- Removals and manual handling
- Maintain accurate records of tests and checks carried out and complete job request orders. Raise any necessary Purchase Orders for and be responsible for stock-keeping materials.
- Ensure that all health and safety measures are followed, and that the Trust's policies and procedures are strictly adhered to.
- Undertake regular and planned safety checks (alarm systems, water temperature checks, pull cord tests etc.,) as instructed, and that outcomes are fully documented in accordance with the organisation's policies and procedures.
- Drive the Trust's vehicle to collect materials or equipment, and to travel to other sites.
- The Trust provides housing and a range of care services to older and frail / vulnerable people. There is therefore a requirement for the post holder to be flexible in approach and adaptable in his / her outlook.
- The Trust actively encourages young people into its environment and encourages apprentices and young people with an interest in maintenance to work with it maintenance team therefore the role will be expected to supervise, delegate and encourage young people in various skill sets and activities.
- A flexible, methodical and organised approach is required.
- As part of a small team, you will need to be reliable and able to maintain an excellent record of attendance and timekeeping.
- You will need to achieve and complete works sometimes to strict timescales, and completing jobs to a high standard is of paramount importance.
- We are very much a customer service organisation and therefore all employees must treat our residents with courtesy, respect and dignity at all times.
- You will be expected to have considerable previous experience in this type of work, ideally in a housing environment.
- Previous work with young people or apprentices would be an advantage
- Full driving licence
- Two Covid vaccinations required as work involves carrying our repairs in the residential care home
- An enhanced DBS check will be taken up for the successful candidate.
What we offer:
We continue to reward our staff with competitive pay rates and a number of employee benefits including:
- Starting on 31 days holiday inclusive of Bank Holidays (increases with service)
- An annual 'wellbeing' day for all staff
- Company sick pay
- Funded DBS checks
- Free onsite parking
- Free uniform
- Pension scheme
- Life Insurance
- Wider Wallet staff discount scheme
- Employee Assistance programme - access to 24 hour confidential advice / counselling
- Long service awards
- Ongoing career development training
SJMT is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. It celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Please note should sufficient applications be received we reserve the right to close this vacancy at any time and recruit at any stage. We always encourage all interested applicants to apply at their earliest convenience to avoid disappointment.
To apply for this roles please click APPLY button and information will be sent to your inbox
IMPORTANT: Please read through this information carefully as this must be completed to submit your application fully
Candidates with the experience or relevant job titles of; Trades Person, Multi Trade, Carpenter, Fabric Maintenance Operatives, Maintenance Operative, Trades, Woodcutter Joiner, Joinery Foreman, Working, Finishing Joiner, Carpentry, Joinery Lead, Bench Joiner, Carpentry Trades, Carpenter, Woodwork, Maintenance Operative, Multi-Trade, Working Bench, Joiner Tradesperson, Fabric Maintenance Operatives, Woodcutter, Joiner, Joinery Foreman, Finishing Joiner, Joinery, Maintenance Technician will also be considered for this role.