Job Title: Litigation Assistant - Debt Recovery
Location: Northenden, Manchester
Salary: £19,000 per annum
Job type: Full time, Permanent
At Express, we pride ourselves in the work we do helping injured people. We are a top 200 Law Company that specialises in personal injury and consumer claims.
We see the Litigation Assistant role as a steppingstone towards even greater things - to Litigation Executive where, after sufficient tenure (usually circa 12 months), you may apply for the period of recognised training, subject to the application criteria i.e. demonstrable success and commitment in the role. We are looking for people who - with further investment by us - will make excellent litigation lawyers. At any one time we have up to 30 trainee solicitors. We offer an uncapped number of Trainee Solicitors, and we offer rolling admittance dates throughout the year.
We litigate a number of debt recovery claims within the firm.
As a Litigation Assistant within our debt team, you will assist our fee earners in both prelitigated and post litigated work in relation to breach of contract debt claims. You will also be working closely with the Head of Consumer Claims on non-debt related litigation and other company projects.
You will be supporting a lawyer with their caseloads and helping to manage their client relationships.
Client care is an important part of the role, ensuring that clients are happy with the progression of their case.
Task management & Case progression including:
- Drafting letters of claim.
- Engaging with Defendants by telephone and written communication.
- Drafting Court documents, including Claim Forms, Particulars of Claim and Interlocutory Applications.
- Drafting witness statements.
- Instructing Counsel and liaising with clerks.
- Keeping the case management file fully up to date * Being proactive - chasing third parties by telephone, email and post.
- Making sure all court papers are correct.
- Reviewing contracts to fully understand the claim.
- Document analysis.
Advocacy - attending applications & conferences.
We are looking for people who have strong legal academic achievement (LLB, LLM, LPC, GDL). Candidates who have passed their LPC or equivalent will be at an advantage.
Usually this will be in tandem with relevant work experience (Legal advice clinic, mini pupillage, vacation schemes etc.), to show a desire for litigation as well as strong commercial acumen.
Experience of litigation is desirable but not essential.
We are looking for people who show professionalism, maturity and aptitude for client handling and ability to deal with pressure. You will be expected to take responsibility for the tasks in your remit. We are looking for a candidate who have has had experience in dealing with difficult situations and can show skills in objection handling and resilience.
We are looking for people with the right attitude, who want to learn and progress.
We always endeavour to recruit and retain the best staff around. To do so, we offer competitive remuneration packages, ongoing training and development opportunities and a wide variety of exciting and challenging work. Additionally, we also offer the following:
- 23 days holiday, rising 1 day per year to 26 days, plus bank/public hols. 3 of these days are reserved for the Christmas office closure. * 3 holiday buy backs per year after 1 year of service.
- Private medical insurance available after 2 years' service.
- Life Assurance - 2 x salary based on annual salary only - eligibility commences when you join the company.
- Salary sacrifice pension scheme, in addition to auto-enrolment option.
- Active social committee, Company pays for trips to e.g. Bowling, Quiz Night, Christmas party, Summer Barbecue plus in-team events such as Escape Rooms, Junkyard Golf etc.
- Employee Assistance Programme.
- Free fruit delivered twice a week for all employees.
- Strong track record of training and promotions throughout the Company.
- Weekly reviews with supervisors.
- Four monthly appraisals to discuss you and your career.
Please click on the APPLY button to send your CV and Cover Letter for this role.
Candidates with the relevant experience or job titles of; Junior Paralegal, Trainee Solicitor, Legal Assistant, Litigation Assistant, Legal Executive, Legal Support Assistant, Paralegal, Legal Executive, Legal Handler, Legal Secretary, Legal Aid will also be considered for this role.